Saturday 15 January 2011

Woman's group or not?

Woman's group or not?

Is it coincidence or God-incidence that today I have read two blogs on gender segregations in church?  Or perhaps one led to the other, who knows.

I recommend looking at the cartoon church blog his article today entitled men and women.  The cartoon is funny, the article interesting, but best of all are the comments which made me laugh and think.

At St Nicolas we have a mens curry night which is open to any man, my Mike has even gone a few times.  They seem to have fun and it's inclusive - success.  This initiative has been going for about a year and I have to say that I would like to go.  But instead a number of us girls have, every now and then, raised the idea of a Women's group.  Every time it's raised there are lots of women agreeing that it's a good idea and yet it's never got off the ground.

I don't know why.
I wonder whether it's because there are the Mothers Union and the over 50s club and those are both women only; and the younger ones of us have busy lives and child care issues.
Or perhaps it's that we fancy joining in with the men but don't want to say so.
Or maybe it's that we worry that a Woman's group could be a bit boring and we fancy a curry night and a giggle (that's what I'd like).

Anyway, I've taken the bull by the horns today and emailed the blog link to a group of church women and asked if they fancy getting a group going, watch this space to see what happens.

3 comments:

Chelliah Laity said...

All the best with your initiative. A women's group is something I would love to attend but I don't have the time because of childcare. That's one big reason why I blog - to be a part of a community.

Nancy Wallace said...

So what's wrong with women having their own curry night and giggle together?

UKViewer said...

I think it is an excellent idea. My local church where I live has both mens and womens groups. Which seem to work well.

The men get up to all sorts of stuff, golf, days out, games nights, social stuff, debates, theatre and even quiet days.

My Parish church does not have them yet, but it is one of the things on the agenda for the future outreach - you don't have to go to church to be a member.

I wish you success with your initiative.