Thursday 24 February 2011

Census is a coming

Census is a coming

Yes, next month we will each be sent the once a decade census form to be filled in for the household.  It will ask questions related to the number and age of the inhabitants and whether they are a family or not; it will ask for ethnicity and employment and it will ask about religion.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I have heard on twitter that a bus advertising campaign is being launched encouraging people who don't believe in God to say so, to state "no religion".

I am thrilled by this!  sure it might mean that the census might show a drop in the number of Christians (and other religions) in the country, but at least it will accurately reflect our society as it is today.

Where I live the 2001 census showed 80% of households as Christian; so where are they all on Sunday morning? And no, I don't think you have to belong to a church to be a Christian, I wasn't for over 10 years, but you get my point.  

Being a Christian is a choice, a turning to Christ, a commitment to follow.  It'll be nice to see how people many in the in 2011 consider themselves as religious; exciting times.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've started to refuse to fill those sections in on forms as I consider my belief and trust in Christ to be my faith, not a religion. Religion to me indicates righteousness and salvation through works alone - and sadly, through fear and domination. The Christ I know is none of these and it is by faith and trust I follow Him, not religion. Nice post.