Thursday 10 February 2011

Schindler's List by Emma

It has been many years since I have watched Schindler's List, at least 6; so this is the first time since becoming a mum.  I was reading something recently about the holocaust and the film came to mind and I knew I needed to watch it again.

This must be the seventh or eighth time I've watched the film; the first being at The Odeon Cinema in Cobham, with my dad, in 1993 on it's release. I remember a cinema in tears that day; red eyes and sobs as well as left; I remember being completely moved by a film for the first time.

And today the same reaction but in a very different way.  Today I watched it as a mum.  With an even greater empathy for the separated families and the horror of it all for children and parents.

Today, knowing the plot and cinematography so well, I saw different things.  I saw the pure philanthropy of Schindler knowing more of what it took to somehow be playing two roles.  I saw the amazing acting of Mr Fiennes (why did he not win an Oscar for his acting?) whom I detested at a new level and was warmed to see changing under nurture by Schindler. I heard the music, it had never really struck me before.  And I saw the girl in red, more times than I thought I saw before, and she moved me.

But more than this; today this film has reminded me how important it is that we never forget the holocaust.  That we keep a close eye on the world for the same going on today.  That we stand up as individuals and say to our leaders - never again.  That we teach our children about acceptance and togetherness and that discriminatory behaviour is unacceptable.  That we ask our churches to stand in the world and demand, with all other religious leaders, that we can all live together in peace.

Today this post will go on both my blogs; as a film review on http://majorloveoffilm.blogspot.com and as a reflection on history and society on http://llmcalling.blogspot.com.

On both aspects of the review the line of the film which stays with me is:
"this list is an absolute good, it is life."

Schindler's List saved but a few; but his actions for change must speak to generations throughout time as a model of doing the right thing even when it seems impossible.

1 comment:

MmeLindt said...

A thought provoking post.

I have only seen Schindlers List once - when we lived in Germany. Normally the chatter begins as the house lights in the cinema come on, but after this film there was silence, broken only by the sounds of soft weeping. We left the cinema quietly, shocked anew at the terrible crimes committed by fellow men.