Saturday 12 February 2011

Would God like a valentines card?

This weekend there are bound to be thousands of people buying cards, bears, flowers, and other valentines paraphernalia ready for the Monday love in. Restaurants will be booked, money spent, post awaited and possibly surprises given. There might also be the disappointment and loneliness for those who perhaps do not have that one special someone in their life right now, for them Monday could be a day to endure. Personally I have mixed feelings about valentines, I think the cards are wonderful but I refuse to pay the inflated prices for flowers and restaurants.

This year I have bought cards for Mike and Rachel and will, as ever, enjoy their happiness as they open them. I have already received a gorgeous hand made card from Rachel and watched her make one for her special someone.

But I haven't made anything for the other major love of my life, the one whose love I am thankful for and celebrate each morning and night. Would God like a card? Where would I send it? How long would the post take? Would He appreciate a gift in His name instead? Perhaps a goat to a community in India, or Medicines to children in Africa.

I have never before thought of God as part of my valentines plans; but this year I will at very least send my thanks for His unconditional love in prayer on Monday morning. How about you?

2 comments:

Anne said...

That's such a marvellous idea, Emma. Thank you.

alimoel said...

Yes... a marvellous idea :) Emma, God not need our card but He love what we do in life, Good Deeds :)

twitt @alimoelsoekarno