Thursday 21 April 2011

Maundy Thursday

Maundy Thursday is the Thursday before Easter.  On this day we remember specifically the Last Supper of Jesus with the Apostles. 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A Eucharist service is held on Maundy Thursday in the form normally used, a sermon or homily is given and this is followed by the feet washing.

The Washing of the Feet is a traditional component of the celebration in many Churches including St Nicolas Earley.  It is a physical reminder of how Jesus washed the feet of the disciples after the last supper.  At St Nics the clergy wash the feet (or hands if preferred) of the congregation.

The service ends with the removal of the sacraments from the altar; which itself is then stripped bare.  This sets the somber mood for Good Friday, preparing the worshippers as they leave.

I am always taken aback by the experience of having my feet washed.  Even the first time I went for it, when embarrassment was my main concern, I felt honoured.  And today, years on, I know I will feel connected through time to Jesus, the man who served and continues to serve.

No comments: