Thursday 7 April 2011

Never forget Rwanda

Today, April 7th, is THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF REFLECTION ON THE 1994 GENOCIDE IN RWANDA.

Seventeen years, it hardly seems possible it was that long ago, the memories from the news and the horror and sorrow I felt are as real now as they were then.

But is that true for everyone? Or do most forget?

We must not forget!
We must remember!
And by remembering we will ensure to be vigilant in watching the world to ensure another genocide does not happen.

Today at midday I will be holding a silence in remembrance, please join me.

For more information see the UN website

1 comment:

Lucy Mills said...

Thanks for this reminder, Emma. It was noted in my prayer book this morning, too. My parents sponsored a child in Rwanda; during this time they lost touch. Wonderfully, they found him again - although I believe he had lost many of his family members.