Thursday 26 May 2011

Earth, wind and faith

Written on retreat (25th May 11)

I am sure I have read about the analogy between faith and wind before, which means it will have been written about many times.  But hey, if somethings worth saying then it's worth saying again, so here goes.

As I lie by this pine tree today in the garden of the retreat house I can see, feel and hear the wind.  It's a warm day with light clouds; the wind is strong and gusty; the sort of day I love.  And so I sit and watch as branches bend and trees sway and leaves move and rustle.  I sit and listen as the sound of the wind conjures up Images of breaking waves. 

The wind is at work.
I see the effect of the wind.
I hear the wind in the trees.

Yet I can't see the wind itself.
Who can?

I can see and hear the effects of the wind and so it is with faith and with my calling.  I can not hear my faith itself, cannot see the calling specifically.  Yet I can see and hear the effect of both on my life.  

The effect of wind on the earth is visible and striking and beautiful and changing and life giving.

The effect of my faith and my calling are visible and striking and beautiful and changing and life giving.

Suddenly the wind of the holy spirit means so much more; Pentecost here we come.

No comments: