Monday 13 June 2011

Being Directed

This is the third post of a three part series entitled "healing, counselling and guidance".
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This series discusses the changes in my emotional and spiritual support over the last few months. Today we focus on the spiritual direction element. Being Directed.

Two weeks ago I finally made the move to a new spiritual director, one whom I had met a few months ago through the Open Door Retreat. I knew she would be the right person to take me through to the next stage in my christian journey as soon as I met her; and it helped that she is a qualified counsellor as well, I need someone who can understand my complexities.

so what is spiritual direction?
Spiritual direction is the process of accompanying people on a spiritual journey. Spiritual direction exists in a context that emphasizes growing closer to God.

The first session was much more relaxed and positive than I expected. Yet also a lot more challenging in it's aftermath than I hoped. It's all for the best though. I know that this change will help me move forward, that my director will guide me well and also hold me safe.

I would never have imagined the changes over the last few months, they would have overwhelmed and scared me if I'd been told; but looking back I see the massive journey it has been and am thankful for the process as well as the place I'm at now.

onwards we go.

No comments: