Thursday 14 July 2011

Something has to give

At supervision yesterday I was reminded how busy my diary is and how I'm taking on a lot more in September and how something (not sleep) has to give.

It needs to look less like this
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And have a bit more of this
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I know it's necessary and makes sense, but ..... I am not happy!!!

What am I supposed to give up?
Why can't I keep all the balls in the air?
Can't someone choose what to 'let go' for me?

So this is the task for the next 3 weeks;
- review my diary and responsibilities
- properly analyse how much time it takes each week.  
- add in prep for 2 services a week 
- see what this does to my diary
- identify areas that can be removed
- have space for unforseen pastoral situations
- plan in 'down time' for me

Wish me luck, this could be a tricky few weeks.

3 comments:

WhiteLily said...

Oooh good luck with this one! Doesn't look easy!

Stephen said...

As a retired Rev, - Twitter is littered with peeps who need to also do this. Encourage them, be a pioneer. Good Luck.

Virtual Pilgrim said...

I'm not good at this either but the only way I managed this in the past is by writing in blocks of 'down time' in the diary and forcing myself to believe they are important (because they are!). Why not write something like 'incredibly busy' in the afternoons between 1 & 3 to give yourself a short break every day. And it anyone asks if you're free you look in your diary and say 'Sorry, Incredibly busy'.