Sunday 10 July 2011

Top Gear and Christianity

I love Top Gear, it's my Sunday night guilty pleasure.  I love the presenters, the humour, the guests, the challenges and the cars aren't bad either!

In the last two episodes (episodes 2 and  3) theres been a focus on what really makes a fabulous car.  James May in particular has been ranting about whether testing cars on race tracks is really the most important thing.  

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Perhaps flat line speed is less important than ride comfort, or that gear changes in traffic matters.  Indeed tonights episode reviewing the new Maclaren MP4-C was talking about how it should be perfect because statistically it blows everything else out of the water.  But somehow it doesn't quite hit the mark.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This has got me thinking.
We, as a society, are obsessed with measuring, comparing and judging ourselves.  As employees, as friends, especially as parents and even as Christians.  So how do we measure our "success" or "rating"?

As an employee it could be pay or promotion or awards.  As a friend it could be number of friends, Christmas cards or party attendees.  As a parent it could be anything, I dread to think what anyone uses to judge my mothering success.  

But what about as a Christian? 
How do we measure or feel assessed as Christians?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Church attendance?
Level of tithing?
Scriptural referring?
Hymn knowledge?
Knowing liturgy of all services?
Time vicar likes to talk to you?
Number of meeting attend?
Lack of swearing?
Being perfect at all times?
Numbers we bring to faith?
Having God "experiences"?
Speaking in tongues?
Keeping the kids quiet in boring services?

I'm sure the list could expand infinitely but that's enough.  I feel sick just writing all these out.  It reminds me of those days when I thought that being a Christian was all about me and my measurable effort.  What a relief it is now to know it's about a relationship with God and His love of me.

What's this got to do with Top Gear?
Not much; but it reminded me of a load of conversations I've had over the last few months with friends at church. They all share how they feel they are somehow failing as Christians. They all seem to think that God is measuring their success against tests.

I say, let's remind ourselves that testing has very little to do with real life, happiness and contentment.  God prefers to focus on how we drive on the highs and lows of the country lanes and in the traffic jams.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

Anne said...

What a great insight, Emma. Thanks.