Friday 12 August 2011

Stop asking me to sign to remove benefits from rioters

I must have had at least ten requests through email, facebook and twitter to sign the e-petition requiring Givernment to consider fencing benefits from those prosecuted in the riots.

Please stop asking ne!
I'm never going to sign it!
I don't agree with the proposal!

The law courts of England and Wales exist to undertake the assessment of someone's guilt or innocence and the appropriate penalty to be imposed on them. This is the right and proper place for decisions to be made.

Apart from; that I can not see how throwing families into extreme poverty can benefit anyone. If someone no money and has a criminal record and is no longer able to find any legitimate employment, where do you think they'll find money for food? I doubt it'll be easy to do it legally.

Sure the proposition might be a way of stopping people breaking the law in the future, but it certainly does not help anyone caught rehabilitate.

And don't get me started on the effect of any possible children of those prosecuted.

So please, Stop asking me to sign to remove benefits from rioters.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Emma, I agree very much with what you are saying. So often it will end up punishing those who were not directly involved and making their lives harder than they are already.

Those convicted of offences will be punished according to due legal process. Anything else is just vengeance.

Red said...

well said...