Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ask and be healed


Art by Maria Clara

I briefly mentioned, well skirted over, the fact that I had received deep healing from the story of the woman healed by touching Jesus' robes.  Well after another encounter with the same passage I'm going to share more.

But first, here's the scripture again

Luke 8
As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. [43] And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. [44] She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. 
[45] "Who touched me?" Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, "Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you." 
[46] But Jesus said, "Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me." 
[47] Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. [48] Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace."


I have struggled my whole life with feeling unworthy, of not deserving the complete, absolute, unconditional love of God.  I've never truly believed that I could be healed.  There was too much wrong in me, too many flaws.  Everyone else, yes, of course; but not myself.

Throughout my journey of calling to ministry it has been there, the monster in the corner, ready to show itself.  Sometime soon someone would realise just how unworthy I am.  I never expected to be healed of it; and although I let others pray for it's removal I couldn't; how could I dare to ask?

Then this week through the telling and retelling and hearing of the woman's healing I have been touched.  She was the most unclean of unclean in society; she was unhealable.  
But she had faith.
She had faith.
She had faith she could be healed.
And she was healed.

Jesus said to her "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace."

Hearing this on retreat was so powerful, it spoke to me about just needing to have faith.  Just ask Emma.  Just believe Emma.

And I did.
And I was.

Then on Saturday the same message was in my daily bible readings; a reminder to keep believing, keep asking.

And yesterday Bishop Andrew included it on his slides as the reminder that our strength and energy comes from Jesus, we just need to ask.  

Three times, 
in one week, 
I have been told,
I have been healed!

The result; I ended up sharing my testimony of calling to ministry.  Something I've never thought about really, it felt like being born again.

Amen.

No comments: