Thursday 19 January 2012

Infertility and Miscarriage in the news

The media seem to be full of stories about infertility, fertility treatments, pregnancy and miscarriage at the moment.  

From Chris Evans sharing their joy at being pregnant after their ectopic pregnancy and fertility treatments; to Kelly Brook talking about her desire to get pregnant again after her miscarriage but waiting until her husband is ready; to Selena Gomez sharing all the details about her mums miscarriages; and Khloe Kardashian denying researching fertility centres.

I'm not sure whether I'm thrilled that these issues have finally become acceptable to talk about; because that is important both to increase the care and understanding that families receive and to increase funding for research.  Or whether my feelings are sadness that these issues are clearly so widespread; I wonder whether they are becoming more common?

My main emotion though is disappointment.  I am disappointed that much of the media interest is more about the voyeurism than the emotional impact of the infertility and miscarriages.  It's about the celebrities rather than their concerns.  The news, more than the issues.

I pray that all those affected by infertility, miscarriage and still birth read these articles and know they are not alone.

I pray that the issues become more known in the world, better researched and understood by a larger number of people.

I pray that the media take responsibility for the powerful role they could take in this.

No comments: