Wednesday 25 January 2012

The Month of Letters Challenge


This fabulous idea is the brain child of author Mary Robinette Kowal
In the month of February, mail at least one item through the post every day it runs. Write a postcard, a letter, send a picture, or a cutting from a newspaper, or a fabric swatch. Write back to everyone who writes to you. This can count as one of your mailed items.

It is the simplicity of this challenge which most appeals to me, what is easier than sitting down with a piece of paper and pencil and writing something.  The most challenging part will be getting them into the postbox each day.

It's also the opportunity to write to people that aren't online and who sadly get neglected by me since I tend to assume the whole world is online.  And there's all the people I know that might jus be thrilled to receive a letter or postcard in the post.  And let's not be totally selfless, there's also the hope that people might actually write back, that is almost too exciting to put into words.  It'll be like the joy of receiving christmas cards.

So now I'm wondering what and who I might write to:
- long lost friends including a bridesmaid or
- relatives of the older persuasion who don't have facebook accounts or
- international friends and their kids or
- charities thanking them for their work or
- prisoners who so rarely receive any post

There are just so many options; too many opportunities that I could seize.  I have a week to sort out my plan, in the mean time I'd love to know if you're going to join in and how.

No comments: