Saturday 25 February 2012

#cyblessings 25th and 26th February 2012

Christian Aid partner Ekta Parishad has begun a 13-month journey across India to transform the lives of hundreds of millions of Indians living in poverty. The group will campaign across 25 Indian states to demand that the government hold to their promises on land rights. The climax will see 100,000 landless people, some barefoot, covering 350km to Delhi in October and November 2012, in one of the biggest non-violent campaigns the world has ever witnessed.

This is the most amazing campaign, both in it's simplicity and it's scale.  People walking across a country (a massive country) to raise awareness and change Government policy about poverty and the rights of the ordinary people.  I pray that the Indian Government will respond to this action and bring about action on it's promises to provide the people with the rights to their land which they farm and help them get out of poverty.

This weekend Christian Aid are asking us to give 10p if your local MP has held an open meeting in the last six months. If you don’t know, give 20p and find out by visiting findyourmp.parliament.uk.  It's a good job there's an option for Don't Know because I don't know.  In fact I think I know that there's no chance and I have unfortunately given up on my appauling MP. I have written to John Redwood MP at least a dozen times and NEVER heard anything back.  Instead I take my issues higher and have quite often heard back from cabinet ministers.

Christian Aid are also inviting us to join us on a march for Justice here in Britain in October 2012, by contacting your local Christian Aid office. I've never taken part in a march, not even as a student, they fill me with fear.  It's all the crowds, I just can't stand massive crowds - better you didn't know that about me but it's true and one of the reasons I don't like shopping.  So no, I won't commit to join a march, but I will commit to raising awareness of it and blogging all about it.

No comments: