Friday 23 March 2012

23rd March 2012 John 7:1-2,10,25-30


 After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him.  However, after his brothers had left for the festival, he went also, not publicly, but in secret.   At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, “Isn’t this the man they are trying to kill?  Here he is, speaking publicly, and they are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Messiah? But we know where this man is from; when the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.”  Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, “Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own authority, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me.”

Jesus'  brothers had asked him not to go, but he went anyway.  The people said he couldn't be the messiah but he told them they were wrong.  Twice in these verses Jesus points to God being the only one who can direct his life and so he tells us to allow God to direct our lives.

Jesus you know what's it like to be advised and guided by those who mean well; you know what it's like to be undermined.  When we encounter these situations and struggle we ask you to renew us and turn us to God for direction.  Amen

No comments: