Thursday 15 March 2012

#cyblessings 15th March 2012


in Somalia approximately one woman dies for every 80 born, in Britain there is one death for every 8000 babies born.

I'm starting to dread reading the statistics and horror that is the count your blessing each day; it's just so shocking and makes me feel so helpless.  Today is no different, how do we start to change things in countries in Somalia where such deaths are common place?

In one of our local primary schools there are 80 children in each year group.  If we lived in Somalia then we would expect one of those childrens' mums to have died giving birth.  Where as here we would be devastated if we heard of anyone in the area died in childbirth.

Christian Aid are asking us to give 20p for every child you're related to.  There aren't many in my immediate family, just 3; but if I include my godchildren then that's 11 and my cousins have 8.  So I'll commit to donating £4.40.

No comments: