Tuesday 1 May 2012

Living with Asthma (for World Asthma Day)

Today, the 1st May 2012, is World Asthma Day.

Did you know that 3 people per day die from asthma?
Did you know that Rachel and I both live with controlled asthma?

Here are some facts about asthma, from http://asthma.org.uk which are true for Rachel and I.

5.4 million people in the UK are currently receiving treatment for asthma: 1.1 million children (1 in 11) and 4.3 million adults (1 in 12).
I am just one of those adults, Rachel is one of those kids.

Only 65% of parents are confident that their child's PE teacher know what to do in the event of an asthma attack.
I'm amazed the number is as high as this, Rachel's teacher was actively disinterested in me teaching her how to treat Rachel if she had an attack. She used the immortal words "it'll be like for all asthmatics won't it" - if only life was that simple.

42% of people with asthma tell us that traffic fumes discourage them from walking/shopping in congested areas.
I struggle daily to walk Rachel to school, of there's any dampness in the air then I can almost guarantee I'll get an attack. And yes, it's the traffic fumes, they're awful. As soon as I go to the sea I can walk and walk with no problems. Interestingly I had no problem in Leicester Square in the West End of London yesterday, but walking back to the car from Hammersmith tube brought on an awful attack - traffic is it!

65% said that they have had an asthma attack where they have been unable to talk.
I didn't know there was any other sort.

Asthma UK is funding research into new medicines and treatments for asthma
Over the last 3 years I have been elevated in my status to severe and have therefore received better care and fabulous medicines. But this year again I'm noticing lung function reducing which means my drugs aren't working so well. It is so great to know that research into new therapies is being undertaken.


Asthma UK needs donations to continue their life saving work. Please consider donating whatever you can afford today, it's a gift of life!

No comments: