Tuesday 25 December 2012

Putting up Christmas tree lights

I'm sure you'll have heard the famous quote by Maya Angelou which includes:

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights". 

Today it was provided as the thought for the day at Imaginary Gardens for Real Toads and it's inspired me.  I hope you enjoy.

When putting up the Christmas tree
It always seems so clear to me
That the lights conspire each year to be
A horror of absolute trickery

No matter how they went away
They'll all be knotted here today
As if they want us all to play
I'd rather for, another set pay

This is my fate, I sit myself down
Lay the lights all on the ground
Slowly undo the knots all round
Until at last they are unwound

Or rather, most are now ok
The others can be hidden away
I'll save that fight for another day
I'd rather some Christmas music play

1 comment:

Margaret Almon said...

I think about untangling yarn in a similar way. It is a challenge when bits have felted themselves together!