Wednesday 12 November 2014

Peace; a home group session #church #God #love


I've been thinking a lot about war and peace this week of Remembrance Sunday.  I've been thinking about the horror of war and all the pointless death that still happens.  And I've been praying for peace.  Whilst praying I was  looking for bible passages about peace and found over 20.

Here are my top 3 which spoke to me about peace.

1. Psalm 34:14
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

2. John 16:33
"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
And appropriately for christmas 

3. Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born.... And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

- What do these passages tell us about what God thinks about war?
- What does this tell us about what we're supposed to do about war as Christians?
- And how about the fact that so many ways have been fought in the name of religion including Christianity? 


When reading passages in the bible about peace I was also struck by the pieces which tell us that God gives us His peace. 

I've selected four which I'd like us to look at in pairs and answer the following questions:
- What peace does the passage talk about?
- Have you ever felt this peace? When?
- What can we learn from the passage?

1. John 14:27
Jesus said "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. ..... Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

2. 2 Thessalonians 3:16
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

3. Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace

4. Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer present your requests to God.  And the peace of God will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments: