Saturday 3 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Friday 19th December 2014



Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26

God’s Covenant with David
A Maskil of Ethan the Ezrahite.

1 I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord,[a] forever;
    with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations.
2 I declare that your steadfast love is established forever;
    your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens.
3 You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
    I have sworn to my servant David:
4 ‘I will establish your descendants forever,
    and build your throne for all generations.

19 Then you spoke in a vision to your faithful one, and said:
    “I have set the crown[a] on one who is mighty,
    I have exalted one chosen from the people.
20 I have found my servant David;
    with my holy oil I have anointed him;
21 my hand shall always remain with him;
    my arm also shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall not outwit him,
    the wicked shall not humble him.
23 I will crush his foes before him
    and strike down those who hate him.
24 My faithfulness and steadfast love shall be with him;
    and in my name his horn shall be exalted.
25 I will set his hand on the sea
    and his right hand on the rivers.
26 He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father,
    my God, and the Rock of my salvation!’

__________________________________________________________________________

I will sing of your love forever
I will declare you to all I meet
I will build a throne for you
There you will have a seat

God crowned his servant David
He was anointed
Strengthened
And brought free by God

__________________________________________________________________________

2Samuel 6:12-19

2 It was told King David, “The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.” So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom to the city of David with rejoicing; 13 and when those who bore the ark of the Lord had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. 14 David danced before the Lord with all his might; David was girded with a linen ephod. 15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

16 As the ark of the Lord came into the city of David, Michal daughter of Saul looked out of the window, and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.

17 They brought in the ark of the Lord, and set it in its place, inside the tent that David had pitched for it; and David offered burnt offerings and offerings of well-being before the Lord. 18 When David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the offerings of well-being, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts, 19 and distributed food among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, to each a cake of bread, a portion of meat,[a] and a cake of raisins. Then all the people went back to their homes.

__________________________________________________________________________

David realised his error
He overcame his fear
Went to find the ark
Decided to keep it near

They brought the ark amongst them
Celebration with dance and song
But Saul's daughter saw them coming
Declared that it was wrong

David put it in the place
Where it would rightly lie
Brought the offerings
Prayed up to the sky

David blessed those who came up worship
Have them food and drink
Them they went back to their homes
There on God did they think



__________________________________________________________________________

Hebrews 1:5-14

The Son Is Superior to Angels
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son;
    today I have begotten you”?
Or again,

“I will be his Father,
    and he will be my Son”?
6 And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God’s angels worship him.”
7 Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
    and his servants flames of fire.”
8 But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is[a] forever and ever,
    and the righteous scepter is the scepter of your[b] kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
    with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”
10 And,

“In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands;
11 they will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like clothing;
12 like a cloak you will roll them up,
    and like clothing[c] they will be changed.
But you are the same,
    and your years will never end.”
13 But to which of the angels has he ever said,

“Sit at my right hand
    until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?
14 Are not all angels[d] spirits in the divine service, sent to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

__________________________________________________________________________

Jesus is not an angel
He's more than that it's true
Which of the angels have you heard
Every called son by God? It's true



__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: