Saturday 17 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Saturday 17th January 2015



Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18

The Inescapable God
To the leader. Of David. A Psalm.

1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
    you discern my thoughts from far away.
3 You search out my path and my lying down,
    and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
    O Lord, you know it completely.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
    and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    it is so high that I cannot attain it.


__________________________________________________________________________

You have searched me
You know me
You read my thoughts 
You see my ways

You hear what I will say
Even before I'm clear myself
Lord you know me completely
You are wonderful yourself

__________________________________________________________________________

1 Samuel 2:21-25

21 And[a] the Lord took note of Hannah; she conceived and bore three sons and two daughters. And the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord.

Prophecy against Eli’s Household
22 Now Eli was very old. He heard all that his sons were doing to all Israel, and how they lay with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 23 He said to them, “Why do you do such things? For I hear of your evil dealings from all these people. 24 No, my sons; it is not a good report that I hear the people of the Lord spreading abroad. 25 If one person sins against another, someone can intercede for the sinner with the Lord;[b] but if someone sins against the Lord, who can make intercession?” But they would not listen to the voice of their father; for it was the will of the Lord to kill them.

__________________________________________________________________________

The Lord listened to Hannah
And he gave her 5 children
3 sons and 2 daughters
Samuel was one of them

When Eli was getting old
He heard of his sons off course
He chastened them for their mistakes
And told them to follow the Lord

Samuel in the meantime
Was with Eli learning the ways
Of following the Lord
Which he'd do all his days

__________________________________________________________________________


Matthew 25:1-13

The Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids
25 “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like this. Ten bridesmaids[a] took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.[b] 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 When the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, all of them became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Look! Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7 Then all those bridesmaids[c] got up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise replied, ‘No! there will not be enough for you and for us; you had better go to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.’ 10 And while they went to buy it, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went with him into the wedding banquet; and the door was shut. 11 Later the other bridesmaids[d] came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12 But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I do not know you.’ 13 Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

__________________________________________________________________________

Jesus told a story
A parable to explain the truth
About always being vigilant
For Jesus will visit you

The parable of the bridesmaids
Tells of how some ran out of oil
They could not meet the bridegroom
And so they missed out despite their toil

__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: