Wednesday 21 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Wednesday 21st January 2015



Psalm 86

Supplication for Help against Enemies
A Prayer of David.

1 Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me,
    for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you;
    save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God; 3 be gracious to me, O Lord,
    for to you do I cry all day long.
4 Gladden the soul of your servant,
    for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
    abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you.
6 Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my cry of supplication.
7 In the day of my trouble I call on you,
    for you will answer me.
8 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
    nor are there any works like yours.
9 All the nations you have made shall come
    and bow down before you, O Lord,
    and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things;
    you alone are God.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.
14 O God, the insolent rise up against me;
    a band of ruffians seeks my life,
    and they do not set you before them.
15 But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
    slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me;
    give your strength to your servant;
    save the child of your serving girl.
17 Show me a sign of your favour,
    so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame,
    because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.
__________________________________________________________________________

Please listen to me Lord
Listen to me and answer me
Please save me Lord
I am devoted to you completely

I cry to you
I lift my soul to you
In the day of my trouble
I cry out to you

There is none like you
All the nations bow down to you
You alone oh God
Teach me your ways of truth

Save me from my enemies
Comfort me again
Your love is ever lasting
I'll be your servant then

__________________________________________________________________________

Genesis 16:1-14

The Birth of Ishmael
16 Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, bore him no children. She had an Egyptian slave-girl whose name was Hagar, 2 and Sarai said to Abram, “You see that the Lord has prevented me from bearing children; go in to my slave-girl; it may be that I shall obtain children by her.” And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. 3 So, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her slave-girl, and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife. 4 He went in to Hagar, and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked with contempt on her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “May the wrong done to me be on you! I gave my slave-girl to your embrace, and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked on me with contempt. May the Lord judge between you and me!” 6 But Abram said to Sarai, “Your slave-girl is in your power; do to her as you please.” Then Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she ran away from her.

7 The angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur. 8 And he said, “Hagar, slave-girl of Sarai, where have you come from and where are you going?” She said, “I am running away from my mistress Sarai.” 9 The angel of the Lord said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit to her.” 10 The angel of the Lord also said to her, “I will so greatly multiply your offspring that they cannot be counted for multitude.” 11 And the angel of the Lord said to her,

“Now you have conceived and shall bear a son;
    you shall call him Ishmael,[a]
    for the Lord has given heed to your affliction.
12 He shall be a wild ass of a man,
with his hand against everyone,
    and everyone’s hand against him;
and he shall live at odds with all his kin.”
13 So she named the Lord who spoke to her, “You are El-roi”;[b] for she said, “Have I really seen God and remained alive after seeing him?”[c] 14 Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi;[d] it lies between Kadesh and Bered.
__________________________________________________________________________

Abraham and Sarah
Weren't blessed with a child
Through many long years
Their dreams were defiled

Eventually Sarah
Offered her slave to Abraham
Telling him to take her
So that they could have a son

But when the plan succeeded
The girl looked with contempt
Upon her own mistress
On this Sarah wept

Abraham had no sympathy
She is yours, deal with it
So Sarah sent her away
And she went, still young and fit

On the way this slave girl
Was visited by an angel
He told her to return
And call the baby Ishmael

This baby was not blessed
He was in opposition to everyone
But the slave girl doing as told
Had many more daughters and sons

__________________________________________________________________________

Luke 18:15-17

Jesus Blesses Little Children
15 People were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they sternly ordered them not to do it. 16 But Jesus called for them and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. 17 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.”

__________________________________________________________________________

Jesus was on the street
Teaching as he went
Kids wanted to come close
But the disciples away they sent

Jesus saw this happen
He was cross about it all
Bring the children to me
Into God's kingdom will they go

__________________________________________________________________________

No comments: