Thursday 29 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Wednesday 28th January 2015



Psalm 46

God’s Defense of His City and People
To the leader. Of the Korahites. According to Alamoth. A Song.

1 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present[a] help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
    though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
3 though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of the city;[b] it shall not be moved;
    God will help it when the morning dawns.
6 The nations are in an uproar, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.
7 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our refuge.[c]Selah
8 Come, behold the works of the Lord;
    see what desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.
10 “Be still, and know that I am God!
    I am exalted among the nations,
    I am exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our refuge.

_________________________________________________________________

God is our strength
Available when we need
Do not fear or tremble
God keeps us safe indeed

God is in city and country
At the dawning of the day
He just raises his voice
And all troubles slip away

Come see the works of God
All that He can do
The Lord is always with us
Be still and know Him too

_________________________________________________________________

Proverbs 8:1-21

The Gifts of Wisdom
8 Does not wisdom call,
    and does not understanding raise her voice?
2 On the heights, beside the way,
    at the crossroads she takes her stand;
3 beside the gates in front of the town,
    at the entrance of the portals she cries out:
4 “To you, O people, I call,
    and my cry is to all that live.
5 O simple ones, learn prudence;
    acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
6 Hear, for I will speak noble things,
    and from my lips will come what is right;
7 for my mouth will utter truth;
    wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are righteous;
    there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
9 They are all straight to one who understands
    and right to those who find knowledge.
10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
    and knowledge rather than choice gold;
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
    and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
12 I, wisdom, live with prudence,[a]
    and I attain knowledge and discretion.
13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
    and perverted speech I hate.
14 I have good advice and sound wisdom;
    I have insight, I have strength.
15 By me kings reign,
    and rulers decree what is just;
16 by me rulers rule,
    and nobles, all who govern rightly.
17 I love those who love me,
    and those who seek me diligently find me.
18 Riches and honor are with me,
    enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
    and my yield than choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
    along the paths of justice,
21 endowing with wealth those who love me,
    and filling their treasuries.

_________________________________________________________________

Wisdom calls to you
Understanding is at hand
Teaching you the lessons
Of pure intelligence

From this will come the truth
Worth more than any jewels
Hatred of evil will come about
And righteousness will give you wealth
_________________________________________________________________


Mark 3:13-19a

Jesus Appoints the Twelve
13 He went up the mountain and called to him those whom he wanted, and they came to him. 14 And he appointed twelve, whom he also named apostles,[a] to be with him, and to be sent out to proclaim the message, 15 and to have authority to cast out demons. 16 So he appointed the twelve:[b] Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter); 17 James son of Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is, Sons of Thunder); 18 and Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean, 19 and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

_________________________________________________________________

Jesus went up the mountain
He called to those he needed
Twelve became his apostles
To be sent out to share the message
Simon, he named Peter
James, son of Zebedee
John, names Boanerges
Andrew and Philip
Bartholomew and Matthew 
Thomas, James and Thaddeaeus
Simon and lastly
Judas the betrayer
_________________________________________________________________


No comments: