Friday 27 February 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Monday 23rd February 2015



Psalm 77

 I cry aloud to God,
    aloud to God, that he may hear me.
2 In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
    in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
    my soul refuses to be comforted.
3 I think of God, and I moan;
    I meditate, and my spirit faints.Selah
4 You keep my eyelids from closing;
    I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5 I consider the days of old,
    and remember the years of long ago.
6 I commune[a] with my heart in the night;
    I meditate and search my spirit:[b]
7 “Will the Lord spurn forever,
    and never again be favorable?
8 Has his steadfast love ceased forever?
    Are his promises at an end for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?
    Has he in anger shut up his compassion?”Selah
10 And I say, “It is my grief
    that the right hand of the Most High has changed.”
11 I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord;
    I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will meditate on all your work,
    and muse on your mighty deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy.
    What god is so great as our God?
14 You are the God who works wonders;
    you have displayed your might among the peoples.
15 With your strong arm you redeemed your people,
    the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.Selah
16 When the waters saw you, O God,
    when the waters saw you, they were afraid;
    the very deep trembled.
17 The clouds poured out water;
    the skies thundered;
    your arrows flashed on every side.
18 The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
    your lightnings lit up the world;
    the earth trembled and shook.
19 Your way was through the sea,
    your path, through the mighty waters;
    yet your footprints were unseen.
20 You led your people like a flock
    by the hand of Moses and Aaron.
________________________________________________________

I cry out to God
Does he hear?
I moan to God
Does he respond?

Has he forgotten about me?
Why doesn't he come to me?

I will think on God's works
On all that He has done
And thus I will be reminded
That He is the greatest one

_________________________________________________________

Job 4:1-21

Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered:

2 “If one ventures a word with you, will you be offended?
    But who can keep from speaking?
3 See, you have instructed many;
    you have strengthened the weak hands.
4 Your words have supported those who were stumbling,
    and you have made firm the feeble knees.
5 But now it has come to you, and you are impatient;
    it touches you, and you are dismayed.
6 Is not your fear of God your confidence,
    and the integrity of your ways your hope?
7 “Think now, who that was innocent ever perished?
    Or where were the upright cut off?
8 As I have seen, those who plow iniquity
    and sow trouble reap the same.
9 By the breath of God they perish,
    and by the blast of his anger they are consumed.
10 The roar of the lion, the voice of the fierce lion,
    and the teeth of the young lions are broken.
11 The strong lion perishes for lack of prey,
    and the whelps of the lioness are scattered.
12 “Now a word came stealing to me,
    my ear received the whisper of it.
13 Amid thoughts from visions of the night,
    when deep sleep falls on mortals,
14 dread came upon me, and trembling,
    which made all my bones shake.
15 A spirit glided past my face;
    the hair of my flesh bristled.
16 It stood still,
    but I could not discern its appearance.
A form was before my eyes;
    there was silence, then I heard a voice:
17 ‘Can mortals be righteous before[a] God?
    Can human beings be pure before[b] their Maker?
18 Even in his servants he puts no trust,
    and his angels he charges with error;
19 how much more those who live in houses of clay,
    whose foundation is in the dust,
    who are crushed like a moth.
20 Between morning and evening they are destroyed;
    they perish forever without any regarding it.
21 Their tent-cord is plucked up within them,
    and they die devoid of wisdom.’

________________________________________________________

God does not trust anyone
So what makes you think he loves you?
He is too great to care for man
He will allow us to be destroyed

_________________________________________________________


Ephesians 2:1-10

You were dead through the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. 3 All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us 5 even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ[a]—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— 9 not the result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.


________________________________________________________

You sinned
You were dead inside
God came and gave His grace
And you lived and loved with Christ

_________________________________________________________

No comments: