Friday 27 January 2012

27th January Mark 4:26-34 Gods joy on Earth


The Parable of the Growing Seed
He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground.  Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.  All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head.  As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.”

The Parable of the Mustard Seed
Again he said, “What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth.  Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.”  With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.


I've written quite a lot before about the parable of the mustard seed but never about the growing seed, or not that I can remember.

 I'm struck today by the fact that this parable describes what it's like to be in God's kingdom on earth.  Of course it'll be like this is heaven, but I don't have an eye on heaven as I live. I am happy with life and will enjoy it as long as I'm here; I'm not scared of death but I'm not desperately waiting for it either.

For me the fabulousness of being in relationship with God is that I get a whole load of that wonderful joy right here on earth.

God of joy and love, thank you for sharing your grace with us and showing us a piece of heaven right here on earth.  Amen

No comments: