Friday 23 March 2012

Wooden Crosses - Lent with Kids

This is the fourth of the children's work activities during Lent and Easter. This time it's lent 3 and the reading is John 2:13-22 abut emptying the temple and knocking over the tables.  As I was reading these verses it occurred to me that the tables would be simple wooden tables and that a good way to think about it with the kids would be to make plain wooden crosses like table legs and like the cross Jesus carried through the streets.

I printed out some fantastic images of wooden crosses for the kids




I also took some of my own simple wooden crosses



I then gave the kids the opportunity to find twigs and sticks and also put out some lolly sticks which they could use to make their own versions of simple crosses.  I am sure you'll agree with me that what they made was very powerful and something that will stay with them through the coming weeks and through Easter.






We talked about burning these crosses at pentecost but I said I'd get back to them about that and we'd talk more about what that's all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed this series, thanks for writing about it