Friday 23 January 2015

Daily Lectionary in Poetry Friday 23rd January 2015



Psalm 62:5-12

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
    for my hope is from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7 On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
    my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us.Selah
9 Those of low estate are but a breath,
    those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
    they are together lighter than a breath.
10 Put no confidence in extortion,
    and set no vain hopes on robbery;
    if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 Once God has spoken;
    twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
12     and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
    according to their work.
__________________________________________________________________________

My hope is true
My soul is waiting
God is my rock
My fortress, my salvation

I trust in God
You should do so also
God is our refuge
Share your heart and soul

Ignore riches
Do not desire possessions
Trust only in God
For all our needs he gives us

__________________________________________________________________________


Jeremiah 20:7-13

Jeremiah Denounces His Persecutors
7 O Lord, you have enticed me,
    and I was enticed;
you have overpowered me,
    and you have prevailed.
I have become a laughing stock all day long;
    everyone mocks me.
8 For whenever I speak, I must cry out,
    I must shout, “Violence and destruction!”
For the word of the Lord has become for me
    a reproach and derision all day long.
9 If I say, “I will not mention him,
    or speak any more in his name,”
then within me there is something like a burning fire
    shut up in my bones;
I am weary with holding it in,
    and I cannot.
10 For I hear many whispering:
    “Terror is all around!
Denounce him! Let us denounce him!”
    All my close friends
    are watching for me to stumble.
“Perhaps he can be enticed,
    and we can prevail against him,
    and take our revenge on him.”
11 But the Lord is with me like a dread warrior;
    therefore my persecutors will stumble,
    and they will not prevail.
They will be greatly shamed,
    for they will not succeed.
Their eternal dishonor
    will never be forgotten.
12 O Lord of hosts, you test the righteous,
    you see the heart and the mind;
let me see your retribution upon them,
    for to you I have committed my cause.
13 Sing to the Lord;
    praise the Lord!
For he has delivered the life of the needy
    from the hands of evildoers.

__________________________________________________________________________

Lord you make me suffer
You have destroyed me
You have punished me

Lord I know I deserved it
But when I try to ignore you
I feel even worse for it

So Lord I'm tempted to turn my back
But I know that's not right
I know it will make things worse

Lord you're always with me
Your truths are within me
I know what I must do

I am committed to you
I will sing to you
For truly you have saved me

__________________________________________________________________________

2 Peter 3:1-7

The Promise of the Lord’s Coming
3 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you; in them I am trying to arouse your sincere intention by reminding you 2 that you should remember the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets, and the commandment of the Lord and Saviour spoken through your apostles. 3 First of all you must understand this, that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and indulging their own lusts 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since our ancestors died,[a] all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation!” 5 They deliberately ignore this fact, that by the word of God heavens existed long ago and an earth was formed out of water and by means of water, 6 through which the world of that time was deluged with water and perished. 7 But by the same word the present heavens and earth have been reserved for fire, being kept until the day of judgement and destruction of the godless.

__________________________________________________________________________

I am writing again
This is not the first time
I am reminding you now
To follow the commandments

For in the last days
Many will fail
But if you remember God is creator
Then you won't go far wrong
__________________________________________________________________________


No comments: